Saturday, November 25, 2017

Learning Challenge: Judgment and Empathy

(flickr)


- The article, Ten Reasons to Stop Judging People, talks about being careful to not jump to conclusions about the actions of other people. Often they are responding in ways that you view as negative due to pain, fear, or confusion that you don't know about.

- Most of what the article talks about is stuff that I'm familiar with. I've experienced enough and seen enough in the world that I realize people don't generally act out of malice. Often they are blinded by their own pain.

- One thing mentioned in the article that I feel it's necessary to keep in mind is to remind myself of my own flaws when judging others. The article gives the example of driving. Other drivers are frustrating, and it can be easy to become angry and judgmental when someone is driving in a way that bothers you or that you view as unsafe. However, it is important to keep in mind that on many occasions you have been that terrible driver who is upsetting others.

- I do have one defense of being judgmental. The article provides a lot of ways to not personalize others actions so that you can look at them in a more empathetic light. I do think that's important. However, it is basing its advice on the idea that others actions are never malicious, or at least never meant to be malicious. I think that's false. I think there are a lot of people who are actively trying to hurt others. Yes, I realize and acknowledge that this is often an expression of their own pain. However, I don't think that excuses it on any level. Everyone has pain. Using that pain as a weapon is never acceptable. I think that judging others has a valid place in society. When uses moderately and judiciously it can act as a damper on some people's more heinous actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment